Suburb Profiles

Cane-20season-2002-1.jpg Feluga-Pub.jpg Map-of-Feluga.JPG Old-Hall.jpg playground-rainbow-1.jpg


At Feluga, you will receive one of the warmest welcomes from one of the wettest places in Queensland.  For most of the 500 people in the Feluga area, there is just one neighbouring house within 100 metres.  Since cane paddocks cover almost every square metre of land between the houses, a significant quantity of residents are workers in the sugar industry.  Even those, not on a farm typically live on acreage.  Between June and December, the cane harvesting season is in full swing with haul-outs and harvesters operating night and day and during the season, the steaming stacks of the Tully Sugar Mill are visible throughout the valley.

Surrounded by low hills, the valley is criss-crossed by a multitude of creeks that work hard in the wet and meander in the dry.  The entire Feluga area remains green for almost the entire year and the green cane fields merge into the green hills that form crab like enclosing pincers for the valley.  Mt Mackay and Mt Tyson dominate the views to the south. And the closest town of Tully is only 8 kilometres away.

For most people, the effects of a tortuous night in February 2011 when Cyclone Yasi wreaked havoc across the valley, are still a painful but fading memory. The belligerent and stoic attitude towards that natural disaster sums up the local attitude to most hindrances; the large crocs that frolic in the local rivers, the snakes seen occasionally in the cane fields, the heat before the wet breaks and the drenching 5 metres of annual rain.

In Feluga, there is the local pub where you can always get a good meal and cold beer and further down the road is the local country school of Feluga.  Warm and friendly, Feluga is a tiny two teacher school that is nestled amongst the green canefields of the Tully valley and about 33 children attend the school.

The uninterrupted education of Feluga students began in 1927 when Feluga Provisional School, as it was then known, opened in the recently constructed Feluga Hall. Only 25 students made that first roll call.

The hall had been built by Feluga residents during the slack of the previous year. As with most cane-growing regions, the 5 or 6 months of cane harvesting is referred to as the season and the rest of the year is the slack.
Some of the older residents of the community still remember the school at the Hall. The Hall remained until 1956 when Cyclone Agnes brushed it away.

In 1934, a new school was built on departmental land just 300 metres down Feluga Road. Originally it was a 2 room building but Feluga State School has been added to over the years.

Nowadays, that original building is part of the administration and library block.