Suburb Profiles

1-005-(Medium)garners.jpg P1130827.JPG P1220586-(Medium).JPG

Garners Beach

Named after Edward (Ted) Garner and his son Ted who settled here in 1910. The Aboriginal name was Nemourna. They arrived in Cardwell in 1900. In 1905 Edward Garner took up a selection on the Murray River and for a time ran a sawmill at Bedford Creek. In 1909 he moved to Bingil Bay to manage the Cutten family sawmill and in 1910 the family purchased their own freehold property where Garner's Beach now is.

The first white settlers, the Cutten brothers, came to Mission Beach area in 1882 and settled at Bingil Bay, where they farmed Mangoes, bananas, pineapples, coffee, citrus fruit and coconuts. They also manufactured their own coffee. Produce was shipped south on cargo-boats. Before this the only white people to enter this area were the timber-getters who sometimes camped on the beach and retrieved timber from the adjacent rain forests. They employed local Aborigines for their assistance in their timber hauling, paying the Aboriginal labourers with tobacco and tools. The natives were generally friendly, although in 1872 the captain and some of the crew of the Maria which was wrecked at Tam O'Shanter were killed by the natives.

After the Cutten brothers, the Unsworths settled at Narragon Beach, the Garners came and settled at Garners Beach, and the Porter brothers settled at what the locals refer to as Porter's Creek (also called Wongaling Creek) at the south end of North Mission Beach.